The objective of the Eco-Region project is to contribute to the aim of Baltic 21 to develop the BSR into the world’s first EcoRegion, where economic growth goes hand in hand with environmental integrity and social justice.
Priority: 4. Attractive & competitive cities and regions
EcoRegion is carried by the unique multi-stakeholder network created for the realisation of the “Agenda 21 for the BSR”: Baltic 21. The project builds on the strong track record of policy-oriented good practices and innovations for sustainable development (SD) generated by the 8 Baltic 21 sectors; numerous BSR regions and previous INTERREG projects. It marks an important step in operationalising the EcoRegion concept by finding solutions to regional problems through cross-sectoral and inter-regional cooperation and promoting the integration of SD into policy making.
EcoRegion will fill some important gaps which still exist despite the good efforts and progress made in Agenda 21 & SD processes:
- Valuable experience gained in the last years has remained within sectors, regions and/or the projects themselves.
EcoRegion will collect, evaluate and document information on good practices throughout the BSR in a systematic and cross-sectoral way and make this know-how available to all interested stakeholders.
- The technique of cyclical, integrated, regional SD management is new and complex and only little experience available.
Within EcoRegion 12 BSR model areas will prepare regional SD programmes and select & implement around 20 concrete SD measures.
All model areas will benefit from training & coaching on cyclical management; sector support and inter-regional exchange to carry out these activities.
- The Agenda 21 for the BSR needs to be adapted to better meet the current challenges. An assessment process will start after the 7th Baltic Sea States Summit (June 08). EcoRegion will both build and contribute to this.
EcoRegion will be instrumental in updating the Baltic 21 Action Plan(s) on the basis of studies, project conclusions and its numerous cross-sectoral & inter-regional forums .
- Most projects on regional SD systems have focused on urban centres so far. Many regions have voiced that the Aalborg commitments need adaptation to cater for their needs.
EcoRegion covers both regions & cities. Through the cross-regional/city exchange and model area experience recommendations will be made how to further develop the SD processes.
- Agenda 21 and regional SD processes have recently lost political momentum. Their benefits need to be communicated more strongly – esp. in NW Russia.
EcoRegion will realise an extensive dissemination plan, which shall spread information on results gained from realising SD in regions and provides for exchange forums to a wide range of BSR stakeholders emphasising NW Russia.
Through all these activities EcoRegion will make an important contribution towards making the BSR cities & regions more attractive and competitive in using their common knowledge and potential.
Prosjektperiode25.10.2008 - 24.01.2012
Mer om prosjektet
Baltic 21 Secretariat
Swedish Forest Agency
Baltic University Programme Secretariat, Uppsala University
University of Gothenburg, School of Global Studies
County of Kronoberg
City of Växjö
Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald
Federal Research Institute for Cultivated Plants
Municipality of Wieck/Darß
County of Soltau-Fallingbostel
Chamber of Agriculture, Lower Saxony
County of Ludwigslust
Polish National Energy Conservation Agency
University of Gdansk
Lahti Region Environmental Service
Region of Zealand
City of Tallinn
City of Riga
City of Kaunas
Immanuel Kant State University of Russia
Municipal Formation «Gusev Urban District»
Petrozavodsk City Administration
Province of Akershus